Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Final Few

Well, we're down to the last two weeks until baby Gert arrives (or at least until her due date). Gert (short for Gertrude) is the nickname my family has for her and I think my sister will call her that the rest of her life.

Overall, this whole pregnancy has really been great. I think that Heavenly Father knew I am a preemptive stresser (what if I'm barfing in class? What if I have sciatica?) and so he blessed me with a fairly low key pregnancy. It's been really neat to experience the miracle that creating new life is. I love feeling the little kicks and rolls (except the ones to the ribs) and it's been fun getting the room prepared too. It's been great (albeit uncomfortable at times... well most of the time...) to have this opportuntiy. Now let's get it over with! Ha.

My students at school have had fun with this whole adventure and now that I'm officially in the elephant/hippo body type, they have been walking around with their backpacks on the front saying "Look, I'm Miss Mac"! If I wasn't preggo, I think I'd be mad, but in the meantime it's funny. Especially since it's the BOYS that are doing it. The kids in the classes love it when Gert gets the hiccups (it makes my nametag bounce) and a few front row students have been brought out of boredom when Gert decided to make my belly look like a wave pool.

This weekend, David and I went mini golfing and it was as intense as the Masters. :) He ended up being the Tiger Woods of the mini course, but it was close until the last 8 holes. It reminded me of when I was little and my dad would take my sis and I mini golfing. We would get to a particular hole and dad would say "okay, if you make this shot, I'll give you fifty bucks!" To a eight and five year old this was incredible. Unfortunately, we usually cracked under the pressure and missed. I do remember one time though making it, and then my dad taught me a valuble lesson in gambling: Double or Nothing. He said that if I made the second hole, he'd DOUBLE it! The converstaion went something like this:

Me: "No way dad, I'm keeping the fifty bucks!"
Dad: Come on, it's double! Think about it, you could get 100 dollars!
Me: No! I want the fifty.
Dad: It's possible! You made the last one right? You could be throwing away fifty bucks! Where's your sense of adventure?

Dad evenutally talked me into the Double or Nothing and... I missed. But, it was always fun to go with Dad when he was in the wagering mood! And now, I'm pretty good at mini golf (except when I get to the last nine... I still choke under pressure!).

3 comments:

Hksedwick said...

Mandy, Your dad is really sneaky! HAHA...hilarious. I think I will keep that trick in my back pocket. YEAH, for updating your blog.

Mandy said...

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I really do want to work on this blog thing!

Matt said...

That is a great story! I miss the mini-golfing with you guys and the Peterson's. (All cramming into one car of course.) Two weeks and counting!